Friday, April 06, 2012

DIY: Mario Badescu Drying Lotion

I have been hearing a lot of good things about the Mario Badescu Drying Lotion from one of my favorite YouTube beauty gurus, Jen (frmheadtotoe), and I thought, why not make my very own magical pimple drying lotion?
Photo retrieved from mariobadescu.com

I don’t really have problems with acne but I do sometimes breakout on certain areas on my forehead especially during the summertime. I want to keep a bottle of a super effective pimple fighter on my vanity just in case my skin starts acting up.

I will be showing you how to make a cheap and guaranteed way to banish those blemishes! To make your very own pimple drying lotion, you are going to need the following:

 
  
1.  Salicylic acid – I got mine for P 16.25 or about $ 0.40 from Mercury Drugstore. I am using a 10% solution. Now, this is a bit too strong for the face so you have to dilute it with water.

2. Empty bottle – I suggest you use a skinny transparent bottle. Don’t use tall bottles, though! Make sure it is only about 2-3 inches tall. I am using an empty 15 ml nail care bottle which I washed repeatedly to get rid of any traces of the other product.

3. Calamine lotion – you can buy a bottle of this from any drugstore. I got mine from Mercury Drugstore for P 87.00 or about $ 2.00.

4. Empty containers – I recommend that you use 1 to 2 transparent containers.

5. Syringe or dropper – to transfer the liquids onto the small bottle. If you are using a syringe, you want to take out the needle.

Caution: Some people are allergic to salicylic acid. You may also experience very mild peeling from using this product.

Now that we have all the ingredients set, you can now make your very own instant-gratification-in-a-jar! Follow these step-by-step instructions on how to make your homemade Mario Badescu Drying Lotion:

1. Place your calamine lotion bottle on a flat and stable surface and leave it standing upright for about an hour or two. You want the thicker part to settle down.

2. In your empty container, pour all the contents of your salicylic acid bottle. You want to lower the concentration from 10 percent to 2 percent. My bottle is 15 ml so I added 60 ml of water to achieve the ideal concentration. The mixture will turn into a foamy, turbid liquid. The foam will disappear in about 12 to 18 hours.

3. Carefully pour the clearer, runnier part of the calamine lotion onto a separate container. Keep pouring until the liquid becomes pinker and thicker. You want to stop only when the calamine lotion strand starts coming out in thick drops.

4. With your dropper or syringe, get a little bit (about 1.5 ml) of the thinner part of the calamine lotion and put it back in the bottle. Close the cap and shake vigorously. This is so that the thicker part of the calamine lotion can come out.

5. Squeeze in your new calamine mixture onto your drying lotion bottle. You want to fill it up about a third of the way.

6. Lastly, with your dropper or syringe, completely fill up the rest of your drying lotion bottle with the salicylic acid solution. It's okay if you transfer the salicylic acid solution with the foam still on top. It will disappear on its own.


And you’re done! A bottle of Mario Badescu Drying Lotion, which is 1 oz or about 30 ml, fetches at a pocket-burning P 1,095.00 in Rustan’s. This homemade pimple drying lotion, which is 15 ml, cost me about P 130.00 with lots of materials left over. So, my homemade drying lotion only cost about P 8.67 per ml whereas 1 ml of the Mario Badescu Drying Lotion cost a whopping P 36.50. That is more than 400 percent!

How does it work? Well, the salicylic acid will break down your blemishes and unclog your pores while the calamine will stop redness and irritation.


You probably already know this but here are the directions on how to apply the pimple drying lotion:


1. Do this every night before you sleep as part of your nightly skincare regimen. Wash, tone and dry your face with a towel or facial tissue.

2. Do not shake the bottle! The drying lotion works as a spot treatment for acne. Dip a cotton swab through the clearer part (salicylic acid) and into the pink part (calamine).

2. Swish it a bit at the bottom to coat the cotton swab with the calamine.

3. Dot the mixture on your pimples and blemishes and leave it on overnight. Get your much-deserved beauty sleep (or macho sleep, if you're a guy).

4. Wash your face when you wake up in the morning and be amazed!

There you go. I tried it out for myself and it really reduced the size of my blemishes overnight.  I also didn't experience any flaking or peeling. I can’t really say if it works exactly as the Mario Badescu Drying Lotion because I have never used the said product. I hope you learned a thing or two and saved a pretty penny. Good luck!
 
Read my previous post: DIY: Teeth whitening at home
 

Tags: Johanna PerezJBPerez4PhilippinesDIYdo-it-yourselfdo it yourselfhow-tohow tohomemadehome made, tutorialremedy, cheap, dupe, effective, skin, facepimple, pimples, acne, breakout, break out, skin care, skincare, acne care, facial wash, facial foam, facial scrub, night cream, toner, astringent, acne treatment, spot treatment, drying lotion, Mario Badescu drying lotion, PanOxyl, Proactiv, Proactive, benzoyl peroxide, health, beauty, wellness, style


7 comments:

  1. I love your blog! I followed! I would love if you could check out my blog and follow me? Thanks so much! http://camigmakeup4u2c.blogspot.com

    xoxo
    Cami

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to try this! I just followed your blog as well.

    Follow back: www.mszjessica.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. And what else can be more important than the design cheap christmas gifts? Women love to look stylish and sexy. Designer handbags have these very elegant and timeless cheap rolex watches
    designs and prints. That is why women can't get enough of designer catier love, leather handbags and more designer bags. The famous designer down jackets like Coach, Fendi, and Hermes will go with many styles of outfits.

    Ask any woman. Who doesn't want to possess an elegant designer discount gucci handbags? You really won't be surprised with the answers you'll get. Almost every woman dreams of owning chanel classic bag . Who wouldn't? Anne Hathaway has a Coach, Victoria Beckham has a hermes birkin kelly handbags , and Mischa Barton has a Chanel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. have you tried it?

    does it really work? you should show it on your blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the instructions. I’m excited to create my own anti-acne regime!

    ~Pauline @Kallony

    ReplyDelete
  6. I already waited for 2 hours but I didn't notice the thick and thin part for Calamine lotion so I wasn't able to separate them :( does the thin part look watery?is it clear?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...