Monday, January 14, 2013

DIY: Lana Del Rey flower headband (no glue!)

After furiously running just to catch up with the dated-is-the-new-vogue bandwagon, I have come to realize that I actually like this surreal 1960s post new millennium vibe that the belles de jour and jetsetters seem to radiate. First one on the list is Lana Del Rey and while I’m not particularly fond of her extremely sad music, I have to give it to her, she is beautiful. She definitely reminds me of a very young Priscilla Presley.

from collegecandy.com

Where do I start? There are so many things about Miss Del Rey that I can never copy (case in point: I’m not white, shocker). However, there are those little things that make Lana, well, Lana and one of them is her signature floral headband. Easy enough, amirite? Well, easy can always get easier. Let’s make ‘em.

To make your very own Lana Del Rey-inspired flower head crown, you are going to need the following:

  • A plain plastic or metal headband
  • Cutting tools
  • Plastic or fabric flowers

That’s it? No glue or anything? Nope. Before you start feeling awkward about my sudden impromptu soliloquy (what big words, Johanna), let me stop myself right there and confirm that no glue is, in fact, needed. This is the easier version, remember?


However easy this might be, it still needs a little bit of effort. So, here’s a step-by-step guide to making a do-it-yourself Lana Del Rey floral headband:

1. Pace yourself. You are starting your journey to become Lana Del Rey… or you are just making a flower headband.

2. Cut every individual stem of the fabric flowers at the base, or closest to where they actually bunch up inside a plastic stalk. That should give you about five inches of pliable plastic covered wire to work with. No need to be specific or anything; hey, I’m not telling you how to live your life but if the stems are too long, I suggest you trim them to a sizeable five inches.

3. Discard the stalks, which I just found out are actually the Grand Mameshka stems. Like, a plant can have many stems but only one stalk. That definitely explains the Jack and the Bean Stalk story but really, Jack and the Bean Stem? Oops, I digress.

4. Lana’s head crown doesn’t seem to have leaves so remove all the leaves and stuff from the stems. That should leave you with just stems with flowers at the ends.

5. Plan out your pattern or better, have no pattern at all! Only if you are curious, since I have pink and purple flowers, I decided to go with a pink-pink-purple pattern but I offset one of the pinks so that it would look less structured.

6. Now comes the easy (lazy) part. Instead of painstakingly hot-gluing each and every flower onto your headband, why not just loop the stems around it? If your headband has teeth, start where the teeth end and tightly loop the stem around the headband once and then proceed to looping the stem around itself like a twist tie so that there is virtually no way it could possibly poke your scalp. Do this for every flower.

7. Once you are done with the looping, adjust each flower so that it faces only one side and not upwards. Not really a big deal but it looks nicer that way.

8. Put it on your head and take pictures of yourself. Do not go outside or the likelihood of people laughing at you would be great. I’m kidding. No one gives a flying monkey poo these days.

And that’s it. You are now one step closer to becoming Lana Del Rey. If you already have big, luscious lips, then good for you. If not, well, becoming Lana would actually take more effort than looping fake flowers onto a headband.


Oh, before I forget, I actually had enough material to make another floral head thingy. I’ve seen Lana wear smaller bunches of flowers on the side of her head so I took a comb clip and looped the stems the same way I did with the headband.

Thanks for dropping by and not asking about my blog hiatus. Do give this one a go and good luck!


Tags: Johanna Perez, JBPerez4, Philippines, DIY, do-it-yourself, do it yourself, how-to, how to, homemade, home made, tutorial, affordable, easy, cheap, free, Lana Del Rey, hipster, flower, floral, headband, head band, crown, wreath, headdress, bridal, wedding, no glue, dupe, tips, tricks, health, beauty, wellness, fashion, style, shopping

10 comments:

  1. WOW johanna i love this ... so in abit the moment looks great on you sure have to try this ... long time no speak hope you are well xxx

    fallinglashes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super aliw your blog! And very creative! I hope, I can make one for myself!

    I follow, I hope you could follow back!

    www.wheniescape.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, darling! Awesome blog you have there. (:

      Delete
  3. Hi Johanna, great blog, great crafts. I love the Lana Del Rey look and it seems we're not alone. I get a lot of requests for the whole indie-look too :) I'll add you to my blogroll and I hope you can visit me too. I really think we can collaborate and create some great fashion photos. -- Maita

    Maita Atienza, Makeup Artist Philippines
    http://www.maitaatienza.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, thanks Maita! (: Awesome blog you have!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's beautiful xx

    mac lipstick giveaway. 1stepclosereveryday.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. great idea :)


    Would you like to follow each other?
    http://oohmarly.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...